You’ve seen the craze for learning code. But what exactly is coding? Coding is what makes it possible for us to create computer software, apps and websites. Your browser, your iOS, the apps on your phone, Facebook, and this website – they’re all made with code.
Nowadays, the technology are shaping the world, so learning coding empowers you to do many things you wouldn’t otherwise be able to do. Most of things are created by coding, such as computer softwares, apps, websites, phones, social media pages and even microwaves or washing machine. Believe or not, as a today digital marketer, if you do not know coding, you will lose a lot of benefits and competitive strengths.
Here are 7 reasons that a beginning digital marketer should know how to code.
- Many good career opportunities open up: If you know more than one language, it would help you to improve your employability. Code is computer programming language. Learning how to code is like learning a new language. If you can speak “code” language, bingo, welcome to success world!
- Impress people around you, especially, your recruiter.
- Challenge: If you like challenging and creative, learning how to code allow you to develop your own things.
- It’s flexible: Let’s imagine that you run a startup business! Of course, you have to create a website for your company. You hire a web developer to do that. When you want to add or fix small elements in your website, you have to ask for web developers help! It is very inconvenient. You always depend on other people and it costs a lot of money to hire a web developer too. If you know how to code, you can need web developer in initial time, but you can monitor your website well latterly.
- More career paths for you to choose: When you work with technology, there are more opportunities to work online, or remotely. In addition, you can become a career coder, or web developer.
- Saving a lot of money when you start your own company: Starting your own company require a lot of capital and investments. Not having to hire a programmer in the initial stages can save a lot of your money, so you can use that money to spent on other aspects of your business.
- Increase your salary: Money is life, so do coding!
At first, I will talk about HTML. The image on the left side shows some common HTML codes that we use to build web page. HTML allow us to write content, add image, link websites, and etc. In addition, we can also choose word fonts by coding tags like bold, italic, underline, and so on.
Previously, I learn coding by myself from w3school.com and use Notepad ++ to code my website. Although w3school website is free, and very helpful, it might be boring for beginning learner, because you have to research and study by yourself. When you code wrong, you do not know why you are wrong. After study digital marketing class, my professor showed me other great website to learn. It is Code Academy website. I found out that this is a very cool website for beginning learner. Absolutely, it’s totally free!
From my screen shot, you can see that Code Academy has very clear instructions (the white column in the left-hand side) and automatic checking program (the red box in the bottom). In writing code, the rule is when you start with whatever elements, you have to close the element with “/” sign. For instance, you want to write a heading. You start the heading code by “h1”, then, you need to end your heading code with “/h1”. When I write these codes, I forgot to put “/” tag in the end of heading 5. The checking part immediately popped up to show me where I did wrong. Does it sound really cool to you? To me, I love Code Academy website so much! It strengthens my determination to study more programming languages in Code Academy website.
CSS defines how HTML elements are to be displayed. With CSS, you can adjust the color of your background, the color of your heading, the position of your elements, the font size and font style, and etc. I really like CSS part. I am kind of a picky person. Therefore, it took me a lot of time in this part to design my website. The picture on the left hand side shows some common tags of CSS.
The calendar run automatically. To display the date and time, you can click on the white button, it will show you current date and time. You can visit my website to see how it work!
Does all these things sound very interesting, but very complicated to you? No worries! I know it takes a lot of time and efforts to create a website like that. To me, it took me three months to learn and code my website. Nevertheless, I have an alternative way for you to create a website, if you don’t have much time to learn coding. Let’s visit Squarespace! Squarespace is a SaaS-based content management system (CMS) which is composed of a website builder, blogging platform and hosting service. The service allows individuals and businesses to create and maintain websites and blogs. You can build your own website without knowing how to code. The system is very easy to use, remarkably flexible and powerful. Every interaction is polished. Features are thoughtful. They also provides many choices of design, stylish, and modern templates that you can choose. Nonetheless, English only! Sorry for other languages! It is only inconvenient point of Squarespace that I do not like. Squarespace provides many pricing options for customers. For business, it costs 24$ per month. The plan include unlimited pages, galleries and blogs, with unlimited storage, bandwidth, and contributors.
I did try to create a website in Squarespace. I just use trial version, so my design is limited. I tried to design a website for my shop, which named Joy Shop. Joy Shop is handmade Christian gifts. We made Inspirational Message Pens, Bible Cover, Knit Bags and etc.i in order to do fundraising to help street kids and poor kids in Vietnam. Because Squarespace does not provide other languages for building web pages, I think I have to create website by our own 😦 . I hope that I can finish the Joy Shop website in this summer, so I can start my fundraising project.
In a nutshell, knowing how to code will open a whole new world to digital marketer, because it brings to you many advantages, and differentiates you with other people. Why don’t you start to learn coding today?